Wednesday, July 15, 2015

paalama na and salamat po Philippines!

Goodbye and thank you to the Philippines!  We visited 10 schools and were "adopted" for a week by Jose Rizal University.  We met energetic, creative teachers who fed us well and invited us into their classrooms, homes, and hearts.  Students greeted us with smiles, songs, and questions. Our host planned a phenomenal week and helped us to navigate the busy streets of Mandaluyoung, the Tiger City.  I couldn't have asked for a better partner and roommate who encouraged me to be open to new experiences and kept me laughing, regardless of the heat and humidity.  And of course, a BIG thank you goes out to Teachers for Global Classrooms and IREX for making it all possible.  You brought a group of dynamic teachers together and opened our eyes to a new culture.  YES, this was a life changing experience and YES, I am ready to return to the Philippines.  Salamat Po (thank you)




Shout out to Harper, Georgia, Sophia, Julia, Amanda:  There are many, many, many festivals in the Philippines.  I did not see any festivals but I learned of one called the Higantes (giant puppets) Feast or Festival of San Clemente in Angono.  The giant puppets are made from Paper Mache and bamboo sticks.  The festival is in November.  Sounds like a good time to return for a visit :)
Shout out to Megan, Marshall, Cassidy W., Marina:  Unfortunately, I did not see many wild animals during my travels because I was mostly in big cities.  The local zoo did not even have a tarsier, the famous large eyed mammal that lives in the rain forests.  They are quickly disappearing because people are turning the rain forests into farmland
Shout out to Toby: Yes, the toilets are a little different and toilet paper is not always available. I always carried my own toilet paper.   I will tell you more stories when I see you next.
Shout out to Kyhoei:  Good news-- Filipinos do not hate the Japanese.  Currently, Filipinos are very concerned about China......


No comments:

Post a Comment