Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Antarctica- Seventh Graders Help Me to Prepare to Head South

I am honored to share about my upcoming expedition to Antarctica.  I leave Thursday with Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic Society as a Grosvenor Teacher Fellow.  I was selected from hundreds of applicants along with 49 other educators from around the country.  

I am traveling with one other teacher from the group, Brittany Berry.  She will be my cabinmate on this adventure.


In preparation for this journey, my seventh graders acted as explorers as we researched about Antarctica.  They completed a scavenger hunt and generated two questions each to guide me during this expedition.  Watch for shout-outs at the end of each blog starting with my next entry.



Brainstorming attributes of explorers.

Watching the movie, "March of the Penguins"



With the help of Nevaeh and Colby, they designed a flag for all of the students to sign and for me to bring to Antarctica.  I will take pictures with the flag to celebrate each new location I visit along the way.




My classroom door is decorated with my itinerary, images of the ship I will call my home for 10 days, and pictures of what I might see and do.




Packing always builds excitement!




A BIG thank you to National Geographic Society and Lindblad Expeditions for this opportunity to explore a unique and important part of our world:  ANTARCTICA.  I appreciate the support I receive daily from my Team A teachers and their encouragement to take healthy risks. My administrators and North Kingstown School District continue to show their support as I represent our district on this adventure.

Lastly, THANK YOU to my family who act as my cheerleaders and will hold me in their hearts, as I will them, during this holiday season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment